Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:52:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        darin@slovitt.net (Darin Slovitt)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limits Problems ...

In reply:
> I been looking through the mailing archives, but I couldn't find a direct
> answer to my problem. Perhaps someone here will be helpfull, and please
> excuse this post if I missed some obvious answer ...
>
> I have installed a fresh copy of 3.0-19981006-BETA, and seem to have no
> end of problems with limits. When I run 'limits', I get the following
> results:
>
> Resource limits (current):
>   cputime          infinity secs
>   filesize         infinity kb
>   datasize           524288 kb
>   stacksize           65536 kb
>   coredumpsize     infinity kb
>   memoryuse        infinity kb
>   memorylocked     infinity kb
>   maxprocesses          531
>   openfiles            1064
>
> I have checked login.conf, and it does indeed confirm that the cputime
> limits should be set to 'infinity'.
>
>         :cputime=unlimited:\
>         :datasize=unlimited:\
>         :stacksize=unlimited:\
>         :memorylocked=unlimited:\
>         :memoryuse=unlimited:\
>         :filesize=unlimited:\
>         :coredumpsize=unlimited:\
>         :openfiles=unlimited:\
>         :maxproc=unlimited:\
>
> When I attempt to untar a file, I get the ever-so-annoying:
>  Cputime limit exceeded
>  0.000u 0.000s 5:33.14 0.0%      0+0k 3594+7617io 0pf+0w
>
> The point at which this occurs seems random at best, sometimes I almost
> make it to the end, other times only two or so files are extracted
> before it gives the above message.
>
> What am I missing? When you 'su' to root, does it keep the limits of the
> current user, or take on the limits set for root? This machine is in a
> remote location, and I cannot compile or even untar things! Why would the
> installation default to this!?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

hmmmmm....

i recall writing to this list, as well as talking to principals on
#FreeBSD about the exact same thing...

I've had this ever since the beginning of summer or thereabouts when i
put -current on this toshiba 660cdt laptop.  when i reported this, all
i got were a lot of "that's what you get when you run -current"
messages, and a couple of potentially useful messages stating that it
might be caused by the apm counters.

i have heard nothing more about this, the problem has never been
fixed, and is now going into -RELEASE.

and to the jerks who gave the "that's what you get when you run
-current" answers originally, -current is also for reporting problems
such as these so they don't get into -release...

i know people have a lot to discuss, such as x and y chromosomes, and
very little time for stuff like this.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or