Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:01:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      hawky/Hawksmom <hawk2@netcom.com>
To:        Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I am still having modem problems

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Frank Seltzer wrote:

> > type anything to it.  I have tried everything I can possibly think of.
>
> did you try ppp's term mode? First type 'set modem /dev/cuaa1', then type
> 'term' at the ppp > prompt(no quotes). This will let you use the Hayes AT
> command set to talk to your modem.

yes, when the modem is set to /dev/cuaa1 and I try term it open but I
can't type to it.
> > /etc/sysconfig:
> > # ifconfig_cuaa0="inet 192.215.166.87 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> Change this from ifconfig_cuaa0 to ifconfig_tun0 and uncomment it.

should it still be tun0 tun1 or do these numbers not mean the same as the
si0* and cuaaa*?

> > sio0 not found at 0x3f8
> > sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
> > sio1: type 16550A
>
> You have a modem on com2 and no com1 at all?

 have one modem and it has always been on com1 in dos /dev/cua0 in linux
and it was /dev/cuaa0 when I was first able to use the 'term' commmand in
ppp a few weeks ago.  I never payed attention to what sio* it was on when
it was working, but now I see it on sio1, though I can't figureout how it
got changed.  Now it doesn't work and said 'failed to open modem'
I made the changes you suggested and now when I run term, it goes into
term mode, but I can't type anything into it, and I can't close or kill
the ppp process. I have even (as root) tried kill -9 and that didn't work
I end up suspending out so I can have the xterm back.

Thanx,
Geoff