Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 07:54:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sascha Schumann <sas@schell.de>
To:        CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
Cc:        dave@kd0yu.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: version 2.1.0 and a hacker I can't keep out

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, CyberPeasant wrote:

> Dave Helton wrote:
> > Dear Sirs,
> >
> >   Frustration is running high!
> > I am using ver 2.1.0-RELEASE.  Have ordered the latest
> > (v2.6.6-RELEASE) from cdrom.com  So... before it's installed I would
> > still like to know how the hell he's doing it.
>
> >From a script. He's hammering a buffer overrun in qpopper.
>
> > I get the following:
> >
> > Jul 28 14:03:33 home popper[1027]: -ERR Unknown command:
> > "^P^P^P^P^P^P^P^P^P^P^P
> > Jul 28 14:03:49 home popper[1028]: (v2.1.4-R3) Servicing request from
> > "usimsptc2 -146.usinternet.com" at 208.160.34.146
>
> Looks like a dialup account. Is it always the same IPA? Might
> be spoofed.

A script kiddie which spoofes a TCP stream. Thats very unlikely ;)

> > As you can see... I know where he's coming from.  I find that he
> > hammers away on port 110 with these control-p's till the popper
> > exits.  Afterwards the log files show missing hours of time and my
> > system is trashed.
> >
> > I am sure part of the answer will be that ver 2.2.6 will fix it with
> > the firewall and all... but I would still like an answer from some
> > one with a handle on just what I am looking at.  I have been plagued
> > with this guy now for a week and have been loosing sleep over it.  I
> > would appreciate some inside information on how this is done and how
> > to prevent it.
>
> Well, this is, I think,  a common script kidz game. It's been out
> for a couple of months, IIRC. Heh, I don't crack, and I don't run
> qpopper, but I've heard of it.

We are running qpopper (really nice prog, btw) and I tried the buffer
overflow once on my machine... one command and I had root access.

> 	a) Get the latest qpopper port, and build it from source.

Whats this thing with the ports? This has always the disadvantage of
being (perhaps) outdated. Go to ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com directly and grab
version 2.53.

> 	b) In conjunction with law enforcement and her ISP, prosecute
> 	the intruder. law enforcement = FBI, probably. Make her squeal.

script kiddie == biggest enemy on earth? Calm down plz ;)

> Some people are annoyed by using "hacker" to describe a criminal.
> Leave that to CNN. It's like referring to a burglar as a "carpenter" ;)

"The Hacker Anti-Defamation League" => http://www.tatoosh.com/hadl

Bye,
         Sascha