Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:14:48 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to rel 7.0 broke SSH

--------------enigAE82AC46BEB4ADABE0C5BB26

Olaf Courtney wrote:
> Hello and greetings from Newbyville,
>=20
> I recently upgraded from FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE to 7.0-RELEASE-p4, and now=
 SSH is broken.  Other important services (chiefly SAMBA) are working pro=
perly.  From the FreeBSD server I can successfull SSH and SFTP to the loc=
alhost (127.0.0.1).  I can also SSH and SFTP to other locations on the ne=
twork.  However, I cannot SSH and SFTP into the FreeBSD server from the r=
emote locations.
>=20
> Attempting to connect from a remote host returns "Connection closed by =
<ip address of server>".  The bottom portion of the debug output is shown=
 below.
>=20
> SSH_CONFIG and SSHD_CONFIG files show that everything is set to default=
s. Also, there is nothing that pertains to OPENSSH in /etc/src.conf and /=
etc/make.conf.  I saw one post that recommended going into the Kernel opt=
ions.  On this system, there are no options in /boot/loader.conf and /etc=
/sysctl.conf.  I wouldn't know what to do with them anyways.
>=20
> The misc/compat6x libraries are installed as a bandaid.
>=20
> Here is the tail end of the output from ssh -vvv <server>:

> Connection closed by 172.27.124.217
>=20
> Any ideas?

Abrupt connection closing might be a symptom of the server process
crashing. Is tehre anything in /var/log/messages on the server at the
time this happens?

(for what it's worth, I've successfully upgraded from 6.3-R to 7-STABLE
before).