Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 17:01:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        rfg@monkeys.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bummer... Trying to install WITHOUT DOS

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

grog> Yup.  It happens so often that I wonder if we don't have a bug in the
grog> floppy driver.  But it *does* go away with a new floppy.  In case of
grog> doubt, format it first.

I've had a _LOT_ of problems with getting floppy disks to work on FreeBSD.
I've even gone out and bought a new drive (working on the assumption that
I had a floppy that mangled the offending ones...)  Floppies formatted
fine, rawrote fine, but then wouldn't boot.  I even ran DOS sector checks
and the disks were good; just wouldn't read on FreeBSD.

In one case I _did_ find a defective cable.  But in others the drive just
wouldn't work for some reason; in (both of) those cases I ended up putting
the hard drive in a Known Good (tm) machine and building there, then
dragging the drive over to the Offending Machine (c) where it booted
fine...  In ALL cases DOS had no problem reading the disk (even with the
defective cable!) but FreeBSD did.  >>shrug<<  I put it down to superior
error detection... :-)!!

Much obliged,

Mike

PS - Before anyone asks, I'm ASSUMING the cable was defective.  It worked
OK under DOS but wouldn't boot the FBSD floppy.  I swapped the cable and
the floppy read fine under FBSD.  Put it back in, failure.  I have no
explanation as to why it would work under DOS but not FreeBSD, but I
sliced up the cable anyway...

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |
| Mike@Newell.arlington.va.us          | http://www.newell.arlington.va.us  |
| "Peace.  It's wonderful!"  Father Divine.                                 |