Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 22:44:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Daniel Keller <dkeller@psln.com>
Subject:   Re: Print quality and double-sided printing

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Daniel Keller wrote:

> I am using a HP Deskject 660Cse witch prints fine in FreeBSD using the
> "hpif" filter from the Handbook
> (printf "\033&k2G" && cat && printf "\f" && exit 0). My question is, is
> there any way to change the print quality? I win95 the printer setup lets
> you chose Best, Normal, EconoFast(50% less ink), and InkSaver (75% less
> ink). Thes lower settings are great if you don't want to use up a whole in
> cartridge in a month. Is there any way I can access them in FreeBSD. Using
> the PCL command I have changed The quality from Finale to draft. but I
> would like to get it lower still.

There is probably a printer code like your printf above that accomplishes
this.  Consult your documentation.

> Another question I have is how can I print double sided? A think I can set
> a a filter to do It but I don't know how. The way it works in Win95 is it
> prints all the odd pages then you tune them over and it prints the even
> pages.

You'd have to build a filter that figures out what a 'page' is, prints the
'odd' ones and so forth.  This doesn't work too well in the BSD printing
system since it assumes that once you've submitted the job you can't do
any interactive commands.