Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:17:11 -0700
From:      Bob Badaracco <rjb@typeline.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   arp table weirdness...

--------------52ACD1211953F3FD70E6A861

A few months back I entered an alias for an IP address that pointed to a
virtual
host on my FBSD 2.2.5 box. The host had it's domain name entered into
our DNS
which is on another machine. After deleting the ifconfig and DNS
entries, the domain name
still appears in the arp and routing tables. The route is removed when I
issue the 'route delete hostname' command but reappears when qpopper is
executed as a result of checking mail
via a Netscape client. qpopper complains with: Client address "x.x.x.x"
not listed for it's host
name "bogusname.com".

Can anyone explain what's going on and a possible fix?

Thanks

--------------52ACD1211953F3FD70E6A861

begin:          vcard
fn:             Bob Badaracco
n:              Badaracco;Bob
org:            Typeline, Inc.
adr:            668 American Legion Drive;;;Teaneck;NJ;07666;USA
email;internet: rjb@typeline.com
title:          President
tel;work:       (201) 836-2300 X 13
tel;fax:        (201) 836-8337