Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:29:17 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Jan Grant" <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious boot during the night

Jan writes:

> Is this reboot happening nightly at the same time?

It has happened only once, so I don't know.  On the one occasion when it did
happen, it was during the night.  I had top running at the time, and the last
screen shows processes running that imply that a cron job was running.

> There was a cron job running find at the time.

Yes.

> What filesystem types do you have mounted? Have you
> got anything odd (loopback, union, ntfs) there?

All default UFS stuff (I just went with what the default installation
recommended):

freebie# df
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    992239    90081   822779    10%    /
/dev/ad0s1f  35433281  2101159 30497460     6%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1e    694607     4905   634134     1%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc

The system is pure FreeBSD, no other boot systems or anything.

> Is there a half-formed mail sitting in a queue
> somewhere indicating which jobs were running at
> the time?

In /var/spool/mqueue, you mean?  Nope, it's empty.

> Can you force a crash manually by going through the
> nightly, weekly, monthly periodic jobs?

I don't know.  The system runs continuously, and cron generates some informative
e-mails each night.  On the night of the crash, setiathome was running full
blast, but it had been doing that on previous nights, too, without a problem.
It's mysterious.