Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 1996 10:23:30 -0700
From:      Doug Wellington <doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov>
To:        Henrik Johansson <f94jnh@student.udd.htu.se>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
Subject:   Re: Easy editors

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING
Possible religious battle ahead!  Potential flame war!  ;-)
WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

Previously:
>I am used to DOS, and I would like to know if there are any EASY
>editors available for Freebsd? The DOS Edit program is so much easier
>to use than vi and emacs, which makes me wonder if the goal of Unix
>programmers has been to make things as insane and user-unfriendly as
>possible? What other reasons could there be?

Ding, ding, ding!  Correct answer!  You are indeed right, it IS to make
things as insane and unfriendly as possible!  ;-)

Seriously though, there is a definite method to the madness with both
vi and emacs - they are both extremely powerful.  Orders of magnitude
above the DOS editor.  If you don't want all the power that vi and/or
emacs provides, and you just want a quickie little easy editor, I would
suggest using pico, which comes with the pine email package...  I've
also seen an editor called ne (nice edit?) but I don't know where you
would find it...

If you are going to start using an editor for lots of work, I think that
you'll be much better off making the investment to learn vi or emacs.
I suggest learning at least some vi, because it is on virtually all Unix
boxes (just like edlin was on all DOS boxes).  Emacs is arguably more
powerful than vi, but it is also bigger (takes longer to start up) and
it may not always be available on all Unix boxes...

-Doug

Doug Wellington
doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
System and Network Administrator
US Geological Survey, Tucson, AZ Project Office

According to proposed Federal guidelines, this message is a "non-record".
Hmm, I wonder if _everything_ I say is a "non-record"...?

FreeBSD and Apache - the best real tools for the virtual world!
Check out www.freebsd.org and www.apache.org...

Chuck - Lord of Darkness?  Or Lord of Cuteness?