Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 11:52:45 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The view from here (was Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU)

>These are the words of your "leader"?
>
>Most of this is your own fault, for buying cheap unknown cards,
>discouraging and ridiculing commercial vendors for charging for
>things that are worth it and not giving away their work,  and using
>software thats been slapped together by someone who doesnt have
>enough time to spend on it to make it really work well.

   Jordan's talking about other quality issues, like a poorly designed bus and
rail design that allows for cards to become unseated fairly easily and the
general lack of quality with 99.9% of the motherboards on the market. In this
case, I'm refering to poor Q/A at the factory (bad cache ram, etc), poor
BIOSes, etc. ...and then there's interoperability problems between various
cards with various motherboards. This is one advantage that Sun machines have
that PCs will never have - all the hardware is pretty much made by one vendor
and this cuts down the interoperability/reliability problems dramatically.
For those of us that come from minicomputer backgrounds (DEC PDP and VAX),
it's all too obvious to us where the shortcomings are in PC hardware.

-DG

David Greenman