Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 07:41:40 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports vs. packages

Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com> types:
> What do you people use and why? I have never used packages before and
> after reading about them... I don't think I will. I don't like the idea of
> generic precompiled binaries... I like the fact I can complie the source.

I always use ports, because I want them tailored for my environment. I
also tend to leave the sources trees around until I start running low
on space.

> A question about the compliation though... does the complier take into
> consideration they type of hardware you have... or do you have to go into
> the makefiles and edit some lines?

Some ports know about the hardware, and will provide the appropriate
assembler for your machine. Most don't bother with that.  If you're
wondering about CPU-specific compiler flags, you can set global
compiler flags in /etc/make.conf - see /etc/defaults/make.conf the
make.conf man page for details.

	<mike