Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:44:14 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: So, back on the topic of enabling bpf in GENERIC...

> This is a clear security vs functionality issue and I need to get a
> good feel for which "cause" is ascendent here in knowing which way to
> jump on the matter.  Can we now hear the closing arguments from the
> pro and con folks?

I thought we decided that the networking gurus we're going to make it
possible to send out broadcast packets on an unconfigured interface so
that DHCP would work, so that bpf wasn't required.

I thought that was the over-riding reason for adding bpf to the kernel.
Otherwise, BPF is mostly (completely) un-necessary for general purpose
computing machines.

Nate