Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:32:50 +0100
From:      Pieter Baele <pieter.baele@telenet.be>
To:        Jerry Breazeale <breazeal@hemc.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg config

On 22 Jan 2008, at 21:41, Jerry Breazeale wrote:

> 	Newbie question here.
> 	I've followed the installation instructions in the book FreeBSD 6
> Unleashed and (finally) gotten it installed.  Now I proceed to the
> setting up of X, where the book says to log in as root, and type
> Xorg -configure .  I do that and get a response something like Xorg
> command not known.  During the installation, I selected Install it
> all including X.  This is version 6.3 by the way.  And this is about
> the 3rd or 4th attempt at installation on this HDD.  Some help would
> be appreciated.

Just follow the steps in the online freebsd handbook. First try
startx, if that doesn't work, X is really not installed.

> 	By the way, after each of the first couple attempts at
> installation,during which I'd set up a separate /boot partition, I
> couldn't get FreeBSD to boot from the HDD.  The book had no caution
> about not using a separate /boot partition, but that's what I found
> to be causing the problem.  I installed again but without a
> separate /boot partition, and can now boot from the HDD.
>
> 		Jerry

You decide which partition scheme to use. /boot is used on Linux.
The default layout the freebsd installer proposes (A auto) is a very
good one, especially when new to FBSD.

Pieter Baele
pieter.baele@telenet.be
VIM has two modes. The one in which it beeps and the one in which it
doesn't.