Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:23:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Bob <bob@tania.servebbs.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rebooting into single user mode on a remote server

--- Bob <bob@tania.servebbs.org> wrote:

> On Monday 18 September 2006 13:51, backyard wrote:
>
> > By call-back mode do you mean log into the system
> via
> > network and have it call your local system for
> > administration
>
> No.... modems like the US Robotics V.Everything can
> be programmed with a
> call-back feature. You dial up the modem, it askes
> you for a password, you
> supply the password, and it then hangs up on you,
> picks up the line, and
> calls back a configured phone number. You program
> the modem to call YOU back
> on a number which has a modem connected, and waiting
> for an inbound data
> call..... your modem answers, and you are connected.
> You then negotiate
> access to the server (name/passwd) over the serial
> link.
>
> If the remote is connected to the the target serial
> port consol, you have a
> pretty hack-proof (nothing is really hack-proof)
> console access. The modem
> will only call a pre-set number, so even if someone
> got your password, the
> modem would only call you, not the hacker.
>
> Bob

so thats why the Couriers were the Cadillacs of the
phone lines... Never had one with such fancyness
built-in to it. That is good to know for the future.

I would concur security is an illusion we fill with
smoke and mirrors to confuse management...

I especially like messing with IT at my job when they
tell me they have locked access off the network with a
new administrators password and Windows Server 2003...
Of course they don't lock the doors on the server room
so I can go in there with a boot disk of my liking and
gain access to whatever I want, or run a bulk tape
eraser passed the RAIDS... :)

now if I can just convince the head of IT he doesn't
need that Courier V.Everything anymore...

-brian