Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 04:06:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        jcwells@u.washington.edu (Jason C. Wells)
Cc:        mrich2@mindspring.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ref

Jason C. Wells wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Michael Richardson wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >	I have a good question that I hope you can help me with.
> >
> >Do you know of any engineering companies that are currently running freebsd
> >and any engineering software under this unix platform?
> >Do you also know whether or not unigraphics software will run on this package.
>
> I posted a message like this to sci.mech.engr on a couple occasions. Not
> one reponse. Every professor on my campus that I have spoken to has
> heard/used nothing about any _UNIX_ software that is free much less for
> the FreeBSD platform.

I find that response absolutely baffling. What are they-- Microsoft
Academic Partners? Are they making you run NT exclusively? (There
/are/ places like that.)

Unix is doubtless still the premiere platform for engineering work.
It's what Unix is /for/ in many people's opinion.

> I am going to write my own software. It might be crude but I hope I can
> inspire some interest.

Look over the offerings from NASA. Shucks, there's eng. soft for
Unix.

Spice? Nastran? Depends what you're after.  Walnut Creek has a
4-CDROM set of NASA stuff.

Look in ports under "math". Try Scilab. EISPAK/LINPAK/ ??? Old
Matlab?

How hard is it to port DOS code? Walnut creek has the ASME "Mech
Eng.  Toolkit".

How hard is it to port Linux or Solaris or HP-UX or any other Unix
stuff? Remember, we're talking eng. code which is very straight
ware, and the visualization is usually X. The OS-specificity of
engineering software is /minimal/, except for some proprietary
graphics stuff. Remember, we're blessed with a nearly generic
BSD OS here. If it runs on 'nix, it will probably run here.
Just fire up the Fortran compiler...

I've seen Cray stuff ported without major problems. Doesn't run quite
as fast, but it runs :)

Hint: Read a paper with some interesting calculations? Ask the
author.  Chances are good that the research is done on 'nix, was
publicly funded, and the code is available for download somewhere.

Oh yeah, if you port or write something, well, share it around :)

Dave