Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:43:19 -0700
From:      "Caleb Walker" <cwalker@cwalk.org>
To:        <mgruver@reveregroup.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Where to start daemons,... /etc/rc.conf?

You will probably want to make a file for each of your daemons in your
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/
called sshd.sh for your sshd daemon.  Put in this file:
first line:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/sbin/sshd

This is the simplest of shell scripts. Once you have made this file exit and
save and run this command on it:
chmod +x sshd.sh
This gives this file execute permissions

Now every time your machine boots this program will run.
This is an example for sshd, which if you install sshd from the ports
collection it will install this file in your
rc.d dir aoutomaticlly with a hole lot more lines of coarse but this idea
should get you going anyway.
So cusomize this to your liking to which ever daemon you need to run at boot
time.