Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 13:18:33 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proper location for drivers in ports

I am the maintainer of a port for modem support for certain IBM
ThinkPads. The port includes a driver in the form of a loadable kernel
module.

Ideally the module should be present when the system boots so that the
device probe will correctly identify the modem instead of spitting out
a meaningless error.
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

Worse, it seems that there is some sore of race condition that causes
it to probe incorrectly about half the time when I load the module
with a startup script. It probes as an 8250 instead of a 16550A.

I know that ports are not supposed to install anything in any path but
/usr/local, but would a driver module being installed into /modules be
a reasonable exception? Or would it make sense to try to get the
driver, but not the user land support software included in the base
system?

I'd like some idea of how to precede with this.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)