Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 23:38:27 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Josh Tiefenbach <josh@doun.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with NCR810/Micropolis disk.

On Sep 13, Josh Tiefenbach <josh@doun.org> wrote:
> scbus0 target 0 lun 0: <MICROP 4743 S150> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> sd0 at scbus0 target 0 lun 0
> sd0: Direct-Access
> sd0: 10.0 MB/s (100 ns, offset 8)
>
> sd0: M_DISCONNECT received, but datapointer not saved:
> 	data=799b4 save=7a6b0 goal=7a6d4.
> 4100MB (8398600 512 byte sectors)
> sd0: with 6512 cyls, 7 heads, and an average 184 sectors/track
>
> While the drive works, it is *extremely* pokey. A dd from rsd0a to /dev/null
> with no load at all clocked in at about 250k/s. Under Win95, the drive seems
> to perfom quite well, and the benchmarks I've run there (mostly norton stuff)
> seems to indicate that the drive motors along at a fast clip (compared to the
> reference drives).

Hmmm, thinking about the occurance of the M_DISCONNECT
within the drive attach: Seems that the drive did not
like the INQUIRY command trying to read 36 bytes of
data ...

But since only the first few bytes are required by the
driver, and those have been read correctly, the message
does not indicate a real problem.

> In searching the archives, the I found a post to -scsi circa 12/96 with the
> exact same dmesg output (M_DISCONNEXT) involving an ncr810 and a 9GB
> Micropolis drive, but no solution/explanation was offered.

Really ? I don't remember having seen such a message ...
Will have to check the archives myself ...

> Could this concievably be a hardware problem (ie, should I return the drive),
> or is there something patently obvious that I'm missing?

Well, I don't know how you measured those 250KB/s
numbers. Could you please run bonnie (from ports) or
send results of "dd" with block sizes of 512 byte,
4KB and 16KB ?

Regards, STefan