Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 01:47:44 -0400
From:      "Victor A. Salaman" <salaman@teknos.com>
To:        "'Jordan K. Hubbard'" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: openssl in -current

I have a crazy idea, and don't flame me for it...

Don't remove OpenSSL from the three... put the whole thing there, the whole
openssl distro in the tree. The problem with the patent is not that you
CAN'T get the software, the problem is that you can't build with it and use
it. But nobody said that you can't have it in the system. It's up to the
USA_RESIDENT variable that RSAREF would be built (over the net). The only
thing we would need to do is modify sysinstall if you are a USA resident
with a disclaimer screen. That way we put the responsability onto the user,
not the FreeBSD group.

The logic behind this that OpenSSL has a non-restrictive license, so it can
be distributed, you just can't build RSA and IDEA in the USA. If it worked
otherwise, everyone downloading OpenSSL is violating the law, and OpenSSL
would be illegal. When you download OpenSSL, it has the RSA & IDEA code in
it, and it has the option to use RSAREF (see!! the user has the option to go
with or against the law), but OpenSSL is distributed freely.

I think that we are being too cautious for nothing. Let's just put the whole
OpenSSL distribution into the system. If something happens, hey, OpenSSL is
also breaking the law. What's the worst that can happen, a slap on the
wrist?

If it's available on the Net at www.openssl.org, and their license says it
can be distributed, then it can. It's up to the user to decide if they want
to build with RSAREF or not.

I think that this would be the best choice, as we need decent crypto in the
system, and it would require very minimal effort on our part. And then
again, what the heck, we could always make the CD's in Japan and import
them, hehe.

Jordan, I think is the way to go... And the 2 CD thing is not a good idea.

Just my 2 cents.