Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:15:38 -0400
From:      pippo@bellnet.ca
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mergemaster problem

I want to upgrade FreeBSD from 4.62 to 4.7 so I can use openoffice.
I find the instructions in the handbook incomplete:
21.4 Using make world

In trying to use mergemaster, I find it incomprehensible as to what the
program actually does and what I am supposed to direct it to do.
It is not clear as to what is done with the master.passwd and group files
and where they are installed or how they are modified.
I tried to be ultra conservative and backed up the /etc/group and
/etc/master.passwd files to *.old and then ran mergemaster.
It was thereafter not clear who(what process or program) would use the new
file (which, where) or how the files would be merged. I chose the 'm'
option to merge the files, assuming that the existing passwords, users and
groups would be merged into the new file. Then to verify, I entered the 'v'
option; but this produced nothing.
Thinking that the backups would be insurance, I then opted for 'i'.
On exiting mergemaster, I chose to leave the temp files.
I did not run the pwd_mkdb -p as suggested until after verifying the /etc
directory and the /var/tmp/temproot/etc directories:
SURPRISE
the /etc/group, /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd files are empty.
And there is nothintg in the /var/tmp/temproot/etc directory
What in the world is going on here?
I have not closed down or rebooted as I am afraid that the whole
installation will be lshot to hell.
What do I do?
Will restoring the saved group and master.passwd files do anything? Then
there is the empty passwd file. I suppose that running vipw and adduser
might fix things...
Also, there was no /etc/make.conf file. The installation has been pretty
much "by the book" using portupgrade" ...
Everything works just fine - Xfree86-4.2; cups, kde3; I just want to
upgrade to 4.7 for openoffice.
Please help
PJ