Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 1995 03:45:31 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD's documentation list), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (Hackers' list FreeBSD), www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updated FAQ on WWW.FreeBSD.ORG

> As John Fieber is on the move, I've put the updated FAQ in HTML in
> my home directory so everyone can check it at
>
> <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/~roberto/FAQ>;

I've looked through this, and it looks pretty good!  Congrats,
Ollivier!

Now for some feedback.. :-)

1. http://freefall.cdrom.com/%7Eroberto/FAQ/freebsd-faq-5.html#5

In this, the mailing list FAQ, there should also probably be some
instructions on how to subscribe to any of the listed addresses at the
bottom.  There's no sense in telling them just to send a `help' to
majordomo if we can answer 99% of the questions by simply saying words
to the effect of: "If you want to, for example, join the hackers
mailing list, you would do ..."  And so forth.  I know that some of
our docs DO give this kind of info, so we should put it here too.

2. http://freefall.cdrom.com/%7Eroberto/FAQ/freebsd-faq-3.html#3

"What do I need to run FreeBSD" should be fleshed out, not just point
the user to the hardware compat section.  At the minimum, it should at
least have a POINTER to that section!  This is HTML, yes? :-)

3. http://freefall.cdrom.com/%7Eroberto/FAQ/freebsd-faq-6.html#6

As strange as it sounds, you should also probably put a pointer to the
various newsreading (and server creation) tools in /usr/ports/news
here.  The more ways you have for getting from point A to point B, the
more generally useful this info is.

4. http://freefall.cdrom.com/%7Eroberto/FAQ/freebsd-faq-7.html#7

The first paragraph should have a reference to the FreeBSD Doc Project
when it says that "some people are supposedly working on some".  The
goal of the project isn't necessarily to write a book, but it's doing
a lot of the same things and this page should at least attempt to
recruit a little extra help if it can.

I'd also put the link to www.ora.com in a little more of an obvious
place and also have each volume in the 4.4 series have its own link,
since each issue *does* have a picture associated with it!

5. http://freefall.cdrom.com/%7Eroberto/FAQ/freebsd-faq-8.html#8

Is pretty weak.  It should contain more of the bibliographic
information from the handbook, at least as links..

6. http://freefall.cdrom.com/%7Eroberto/FAQ/freebsd-faq-10.html#10

I'm not sure if "Copyrights" should be the first paragraph in the list
of FreeBSD goals, but I suppose for lack of more material.. :-)

Still, I think this should be rephrased.  Perhaps "Unrestricted
Copyrights" would make a better heading under "Goals".  We should also
put some words in there about wanting to create a great OS, but then I
expect you'll then want me to write those words too, so I'll shut
up.. :-)

7. Installation section - need more stuff.

Can we somehow get my "Tips for DOS users" section at the top of the
Install guide SGML'd and in here?

8. Hardware section - missing pieces.

We don't list the Sony drives (CDU 31/33A) as supported..

I think, in general, that this whole section could stand for someone
to look through it with a copy of the 2.0.5 release notes in another
window for comparison.  I'm sure we're leaving more than this out!

9. The "where can I get Motif for FreeBSD?" section is out of date.

It should list Lasermoon Ltd as the contact, with the address info of:

Lasermoon Ltd
2a Beaconsfield Road
Fareham, Hants
England. PO16 0QB

Phone:	+44 (01) 329 834944
FAX:	+44 (0) 329 825936
Email:  <info@lasermoon.co.uk>

There are lots of other things in there that need updating, but at
this point I'm really not sure if it's just better for ME to go change
them or to talk to Ollivier in personal email listing them in less
detail.  I know that this email would easily be twice as long as the
proposed changes if I went into this kind of detail for everything
needing a change! :-)

Are you SURE you don't want me to take over the FAQ, Ollivier?
There's a LOT OF WORK to be done in here and if you don't have the
time, please don't be afraid to say so!

					Jordan