Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:48:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   sol.net problems

Hello,

My core router (FreeBSD 2.1.0R, half a dozen Ethernet cards, etc) has been
blowing chunks since late morning.  A workaround will be in place by
18:00 CST until the machine can be replaced or repaired.  A gross hack is
currently providing connectivity to my services network, where
{ftp,mail}.freebsd.sol.net live, but any other services may be temporarily
interrupted until this problem is corrected.

The problem is compounded by the fact that I am not able to get down to
the office until after 17:00 CST.

My apologies.

This brings up a side issue.

I have been talking for months about building in more redundancy to my
networking infrastructure.  With Ethernet stuff being dirt cheap, there
is no reason for this kind of thing...

I am seriously intending to start running redundant Ethernets and stuff
to all key systems.  I believe that if I start using OSPF internally,
this should be practical and possible, but I am no GateD whiz, and
I don't know how to go about this.  I did buy "Routing in the Internet"
but haven't made a serious dent in trying to understand the OSPF routing
stuff yet.  (Issues never come up at convenient times).

What I would like to do, best case, is something like this...

Net 206.55.64.0/28					Net 206.55.64.16/28

      ----------	       ----------		----------
b |---| Router |   ------------| Box  1 |------------	| Router |---| b
b |   ----------  /	       ----------	     \	----------   | b
1 |		 /				      \		     | 2
  |   ----------/	       ----------	       \----------   |
  |---| Router |---------------| Box  2 |---------------| Router |---|
  |   ----------	       ----------		----------   |

Obviously not a complete net view...

Right now, "Box 1" and "Box 2" are connected to a common ethernet which
is in turn connected to my core router, which connects via my backbone
Ethernet to a border router.

What I would like to do is to set up a second core router... the obvious
way is to simply connect it to the current "common ethernet" for Box 1 and
Box 2.  However, that does not protect against a failed hub or a bad wire.

Running a separate wire from each core router to the box seems absurd at
first until you realize it can be done with no hubs, and good hubs being
rather pricey, this starts to look attractive.

Any comments from OSPF gurus?

... JG