Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 11:32:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Christopher Taylor <freebsd@trogon.kiwi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Taylor UUCP Help!

On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Christopher Taylor wrote:

> Hi, I have a couple of customers who run a BBS, and want to get UUCP
> email to their bulletin board. I have never setup any UUCP package
> before, and I am hoping that someone in here has. :)

You lucky one ;-)

> I downloaded and
> compiled v1.06 just fine, and set up the proper directories, and created
> an account for someone to test out, and set its uid and group to that of
> UUCP's.

BTW, where did you compile and install t-uucp ?! ... On a FreeBSD
machine t-uucp is already part of the system ... ?

> I also set shell to uucico, and home to /var/spool/uucppublic.

correct.

> But, for some reason it keeps saying it doesn't have permission to talk!

Could you please make a transmission with debugging enabled and
give a more detailed error message ?!

/somepath/uucico -r1 -xall -Ssomehost

/var/spool/uucp/Debug contains debugging output...

> Does it have something to do with my files in /etc/uucp? And do I need to
> do anything special to my /etc/sendmail.cf file, to store uucp mail
> destined for one of my UUCP customers, in /var/spool/uucppublic/sysname?

Well not too much at a time ... surely, sendmail has to be told, how
mail has to be delivered to certain machines ...

Usually you have a connection to an ISP, so this is your smarthost...
Or you are directly connected to Internet, so your sendmail probably
is configured to deliver mails itself ... Although some people still
prefer sending mail to a smarthost via uucp over IP... So it's done
batched and might save money on an expensive dialup line ...

READ /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/README carefully ...
You might need something like the mailertable or domaintable
feature, to deliver mail to some locally connected machines ...

Sendmail will be configured via macro files
habe a look in /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf ...

If there is a foo.mc file, then type 'make foo.cf' and this
file is your sendmail.cf .... you can test it via sendmail
address test mode before installing it in /etc/sendmail.cf...

sendmail -bt -Cfoo.cf
> 3,0 testperson@foo.do.main

Then sendmail will tell you, how it would deliver the mail
to the mail address ... So you can test your delivery ...

Don't forget to type the 3,0 in from of each tested address !

> Also, I have gone over all the Taylor UUCP documentation I can find, and
> still cannot figure it out.

Well, it's a bit complicated for a fist time beginner, but
not impossible ...

Here is my sendmail.mc file for a first start ...
Look in sendmails README file about the domain and mailertable
feature and with some modifications you should get a working sendmail.
And if then additionally your uucp is well configured, everythig should
be fine ;-))

divert(-1)

include(`../m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`@(#)klemm.mc 1.1 (AKL) 20/03/96')

OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
Dmklemm.gtn.com

MASQUERADE_AS(klemm.gtn.com)dnl

define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `$m')dnl
define(`UUCP_MAX_SIZE', 2000000)dnl
define(`SMART_HOST', `uucp-dom:easix')dnl
define(`UUCP_RELAY', `uucp-dom:easix')dnl
# queue each job, uux's -r flag, uucp transmission via cron
# define(`UUCP_MAILER_ARGS',`uux - -r -z -a$g -gC $h!rmail ($u)')dnl
# immediate delivery for each mail
define(`UUCP_MAILER_ARGS',`uux - -z -a$g -gC $h!rmail ($u)')dnl

FEATURE(nodns)dnl
FEATURE(nocanonify)
FEATURE(use_cw_file)
FEATURE(always_add_domain)
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
FEATURE(local_procmail)

MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(uucp)dnl

__
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de
pgp p-key  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html  >>> powered by <<<
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Printing/aps-491.tgz  >>>    FreeBSD <<<