Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 1996 09:05:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      didier@aida.org
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@netvoyage.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Computer purchase for FreeBSD

On Sat, 16 Mar 1996, Bryan K. Ogawa wrote:

> I'm looking to get a system to run FreeBSD (and Windows95, probably)
> on.  I'm willing to put a fair amount of money into it (this is the
> first new computer I've bought in about 5 years), and I'm looking for
> some recommendations.  I am planning on running X and probably
> 2.1-stable (although I would prefer to do a CD install instead of a
> net-install of FreeBSD).  I'd appreciate any comments you would like
> to make on the component choices I'm proposing.  Since I'm asking many
> questions, feel free to skip over as many as you want.
>
> You are welcome to direct a copy of comments to me as well as to the
> list; I'm subscribed to the list, but on another account (so I'll see
> them later rather than sooner).
>
> Here's the system I have so far:
>
> System:
>
> Motherboard/BIOS/RAM:
>   Intel P-133
>     - Right now this seems to be the best price/performance balance
>       for me.
>
>   Triton Motherboard w/ 256K (512K?) Pipeline Burst Cache
>     - Is 512K worth extra money (e.g. is there a significant
>       performance increase)?
>     - Are there any incompatibilities with 512K of cache?

    we finally choosed a ASUS P55TP4XE mother board with 512k pipeline burst
    cache and 128Mb DRAM
    everything works fine

>   32 Megs EDO RAM
>     - the Triton chipset boards don't support parity, correct?  Does
>       that mean they support the EDO RAM features (e.g. the error
>       correction features?)  I know it was discussed before, but I
>       wasn't entirely clear on the answer.
>     - If the answer to the above is no, what other advantages (if any)
>       would EDO RAM have?
>
> Video:
>   Diamond Stealth 64 w/ 2 megs VRAM
>     - The video chipset FAQ (see sources, below) lists this as an
>       S3 964 chipset (or the 968 for the Video version of the board).
>       I'm planning on starting out with XFree86.  Is a Number 9 cheaper
>       or faster?
>
>   17" Monitor (probably a Mag, but maybe a Shamrock or other cheap)
>     - Anyone have any comments on these monitors?  According to
>       InfoWorld, some of the Mags are pretty good. (see below for
>       InfoWorld reference.)
>
> Storage
>   Adaptec 2940UW (PCI)
>     - I've seen Jordan's hardware recommendations list, which says
>       that unless you're doing news or NFS, Wide SCSI is not worth it.
>       Is this still true?
>     - The drivers for the 2940UWs are in -current (-stable?), right?
>       Does that mean that I must install these versions to run, or can
>       I install 2.1.0-RELEASE initially and upgrade to take full
>       advantage of the board later?  If the answer is that I must
>       install a more recent version, is there a CD I can buy that
>       would let me install?

     the Adaptec 2940UW works fine with FreeBSD-stable. 2940UW has a transfer
     rate which is twice the speed of the 2940W 40Mb/s in wide mode

>     - Does anyone know what the differences are between the 2940W and
>       2940UW?
>
>    2.1 GB Fast Wide SCSI

     we installed 2 seagate barracuda 2GB each. (wide scsi)
     they are really fast!

--
Didier Derny     | Microsoft Free Computer.          | 486DX4-120 AL3 chipset
didier@aida.org  | Private FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE site.  | aha2940 / 1Gb HAWK