Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 1997 20:44:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.2-RELEASE/Viper anomolies

This is a report rather than a plea. I've solved the problem, but it's
left me curious. (Questions at end.)

I have an Archive Viper 2525 attached to a Tekram DC300B ISA controller as
the only external device. Prom version on the Viper is 007 which I
know is problematic. Internal is a Quantum LPS240S, a Seagate Hawk
and a Sony CD55S CD-Rom -- also off the same controller. External cable is
from Sun, internal is flat ribbon.

I installed 2.2.2 from WC CD. GENERIC kernel and all subsequent kernels I
built would either not see the drive or (after any kind of access) leave
it in a condition where only a power off would make it visable to the
controller. The curiosity here is that under 2.2.1, I could coerce it to
behave as a normal drive. After going back to 2.2.1, I can dump, restore
and (after one change) I haven't seen any problems.

This drive was packaged by Artecon and sold by Sun Express. It ran without
problems on a Sun1+. (I know Sun has a penchant for proprietary proms, so
I didn't expect much when I brought it over.) I did have problems under
2.1.[567].

The one thing that surprised me, though, was that this drive came with
parity disabled. I understood that if parity was enabled, it should be
enabled for every device on the bus. The drives I replaced on Sun systems
all had parity enabled -- so I ASSumed, this drive was also. Since
enabeling parity, I have had 0 problems with 2.2.1.

So my questions are:
	Should all devices be parity enabled? -- or none?
	Is there anything I can do to make it acceptable to 2.2.2?
	Would putting it on a controller by itself be a benifit?
	What magic incantation does it take to get last prom release from
		Seagate?

If anyone wants more information, I'd be happy to provide all I can.
(Enabeling debugging didn't yield anything as far as I can tell.) Anyway,
2.2.1 works great with this combination. 2.2.2 doesn't.

-- Jay