Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 18:17:14 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Exabyte 8200

On Friday, 2nd October 1998, "Duncan Barclay" wrote:

>> As I recal, the only real problem with a Cybernetic tape drive is
>> the compression is vendor unique.
>
>Doesn't matter as it's for home use. And I only need to back up a
>gigabyte or so.

I would dispute this.  Your cheap custom tape drive is likely to expire
before your disk, and then you are left with a pile of unreadable backups.
Write uncompressed tapes, and use software compression if you want to
save time/space.  Then you at least have the option of recovering your
files at work if, say, a burglar takes a liking to your backup device.

Stephen.

PS Every time I post about Exabytes I ask if anyone knows how to query one
about its error rate (or other head cleaning related notifications).  No,
I can't find this on the Exabyte site, and yes, I've looked.  I would be
happy to be proven an idiot by being given an URL showing actual information.