Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:29:34 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-committers@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic() the system from the console (was: Re: kern/13721: There is no way to force system panic from console)

>> He wanted a to be able to panic() a machine from console without being
>> able to drop to DDB from console. I think this is because he believes
>> that DDB is a security problem. :-)
>
>Well, I'm missing something: the beginning of this thread, so this may
>not be 100% relevant, but I've just had the situation. So:
>
>I believe that panicing the system is also a security problem.  But
>sometimes people have hangs and just want to get a dump.  Installing
>DDB is overkill for this situation; how about a key attribute that
>panics the system?

That was exactly the suggestion the original poster made in his PR.
He also believed that assiging the PANIC function to a key
is no worse than having the DDB function key.

>It would probably make sense to have a sysctl or
>some such to enable it.

Or, as the original poster, have a kernel compile option.

I am not particularly attached to either of the ideas: the sysctl or
the kernel compile option.  But, I am now beginning to think sysctl
may be better, as it would enable us to obtain a dump without recompiling
the kernel.

Kazu