Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 19:14:26 +1100
From:      "Lachlan O'Dea" <lodea@vet.com.au>
To:        patrick@whetstonelogic.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HOWTO: Blackdown JDK 1.2.2 RC3 on 3.x

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 12:18:08AM -0500, patrick@whetstonelogic.com wrote:
> I would concur.  I ran all the demo applets and the JFC demos.  They
> all ran fine.

I just tried RC1 of the "controversial" Sun/Inprise JDK 1.2.2 Linux port
(under 3.3-STABLE). I haven't had a chance to play with it much, but I
couldn't get any Swing stuff to run. I compiled and ran a hello world
program ok. However, if I try to run any Swing stuff the process starts
and then just sits there eating CPU and doing nothing. I have send it a
SIGKILL to shut it down. Turing off the JIT makes no difference.

These problems are probably due to the Linux 2.2.5 requirement. I tried
it on a Linux 2.0.38 box, but only simple programs would work. I'd say
this port isn't going to be very useful under 3.x. Maybe it will work
better under -current?

This port has a JIT called "javacomp". I don't know if this is different
to the Sun JIT that Blackdown has.

--
Lachlan O'Dea <mailto:lodea@vet.com.au>   Computer Associates Pty Ltd
Webmaster                                   Vet - Anti-Virus Software

"A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the
most serious mind." - Yoda, Jedi Master