Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 00:21:35 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about alpha bootstrap

> In article <200007222021.NAA10033@mass.osd.bsdi.com>,
> Mike Smith  <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> =

> [boot1 looks for /boot/loader on filesystem at beginning of disk, right=
?]
> > That's correct.
> > =

> > If you want maximum swap performance, you want swap on the outside of=
 the =

> > disk.  This typically means working out whether your disk counts =

> > inside-out or outside-in, and organising accordingly.
> =

> Thanks.  My situation actually isn't related to swap.  I have a
> somewhat stale dual-boot setup where I can get -stable by booting
> da0a or -current by booting da0f.  But this means I'm using -stable's
> /boot/loader in both cases.  It hasn't been a problem in the past, but
> I suppose it could be one some day.

The loader is more likely to be backwards- than forwards-compatible.  =

Note that if your bootblock is fairly up-to-date you have a window where =

you can specify another loader, so you can always boot the -stable =

installation, grab the new -current loader across, boot it manually and =

then swap to the -current install, so there's still an escape path if =

something ugly happens.

-- =

=2E.. every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his