Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 19:06:52 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   separate udma66 controller possible, when only having udma33 bios

Hi !

Some possibly dump questions from a SCSI user regarding EIDE.

I want to buy the new Maxtor 40 GB EIDE drive, 7200 U/min
for my FreeBSD system. My 4 2GB SCSI disks (IBM DORS 31260)
are too small now and too loud for a home system.

I have a TYAN Titan Pro board with 2 PPro 200. The last BIOS
upgrade I did, made udma33 possible.

	http://www.tyan.com/support/html/bios_titan_pro.html

	TYN TITAN-PRO V5.01  5/8/98
	V5.01 Award BIOS for all Titan Pro series
	motherboards.  Includes a pci vga irq setup
	item and support for UDMA33 HDD, ....

I think the drive would also run fine with udma33, or ???

If I want to get the most speed out of the new disk, I would need
udma66 support. But how do I get udma66, if my mainbords BIOS only
supports udma33 ???

Would I be able to run udma66, if I would buy a separate EIDE
pci controller and disabling the EIDE controller on my mainboard ?
Or is this completely BIOS dependend ???

Tyan itself offers currently no other BIOS upgrade for this board.
If I would need a BIOS upgrade, is there another possibility
to upgrade my BIOS ? Or do I need BIOS upgrades from my board
manufacturer ?

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                                  http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas