Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 00:11:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bob Amstadt <bob@eeyore.amscons.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

I recently converted my system from Linux to FreeBSD.  I backed up all my
Linux filesystems to DAT using tar.  The backups took about 3 hours.
After changing to FreeBSD, I read the tape archives back to disk.
However, it took nearly 2 days to read the tape.  The dd command seems to
indicate to me that I am transfering data at around 15k/sec.  This seems
horribly slow.

My configuration is:

Tekram DC-390U SCSI controller (ncr0 controller in kernel)
Aiwa GD-8000 DDS-2 DAT drive (kernel indicates 10 MB/s transfers)

Any suggestions for improved performance?