Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 09:32:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      papowell@astart.com
To:        aedmonds@digitalconvergence.com, albert@achtung.com
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any new PicoBSD's based on 4.0??

Hi,  I have been lurking in the background for a bit.
I have some suggestions for interested folks.

Project:
   Convert all of the existing 'standard' items to
 Makefile versions.   This will get rid of the script
 stuff.

Project:
   Add a project.conf or some other file at the
 project level,  and put necessary configuration
 information into this file,  AND PASS ITS LOCATION
 IN THE MAKEFILE PARAMETERS.  Also,  be brave:
 put the various configuration files in the top level
 as well

   Example:

  /usr/.../picobsd/myproject/Makefile
                             project.conf
                             crunch.conf

Contents of project.conf:

MFS=3500

In the top level Makefile you can do:

  PROJECT?=${.CURDIR}/project.conf
  CRUNCH?=${.CURDIR}/crunch.conf
  CONFIG?=${.CURDIR}/PICOBSD-C

  ... make PROJECT=${PROJECT} CRUNCH=${CRUNCH} CONFIG=${.CWD}

Now, you might wonder why this stuff -
  so you can have different projects use the same
  directory and have different versions for testing, etc.

> I've been playing with it.  I need to send-pr in some changes
> for 4.0.  I'll do it tomorrow.  I did manage to get dhclient in
> there, but it wasn't easy.  I have a kludge in mfs.rc to move
> the dhclient-script file into /sbin and chmod +x it.  Ugly.
>
> I'm still learning the picobsd build process....
>
> Cheers,

Have you ever considered putting in a symbolic link to the
file?  Much easier.

Patrick