Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 13:42:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Timmons <cwt@networks.cwu.edu>
To:        <lists@mediumgreen.com>
Cc:        Jason Vervlied <jvervlied@hway.net>, <freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with vmware2

I'm running very close to 4.3-RELEASE with XFree86 Version 4.0.3 (ATI Rage
128) and vmware2.

You might try backing up to that version of FreeBSD if your running
something newer.  Also, when was the last time you installed the
linux_base port?

I start X with XDM.  You might also look in the XFree notes for your card
to see if there are optimizations which can be disabled in your
XFree86Config file.

Another thought: use XFree86 3.x - it may be more stable for your card.

I know how discouraging the kind of experience you are having can be :)
there is hope, though, because my configuration is the same save for the
different video card, so you should be able to make it work without too
much more hassle.

Good luck,
-Chris