Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:53:09 +0930
From:      "Thyer, Matthew" <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About HP OmniBack disk agent in FreeBSD

[cc'd to the lists for future reference for people wishing to run
Hewlett Packard OpenView OmniBack disk agent on FreeBSD]

You are trying to do a lot more than me.

I cannot browse, I have simply defined my datalist manually specifying
that I only want to backup the /export filesystem (dont choose from
the browse list but just type it in).

I will be interested to see what mods you have made to
/usr/omni/bin/.util to be able to see the list of mounted filesystems.

I dont do any browsing except when I am restoring, then I browse the
OmniBack database to choose what to restore but as far as I know, you
cannot browse the list of mounted filesystems or the files in them
when you are actually communicating with the FreeBSD box.

I may well have run "brandelf -t Linux /usr/omni/bin/*" to make vbda
work.

Compare the below with your system:

% sudo file /usr/omni/bin/*
/usr/omni/bin/#inet:      setuid setgid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped
/usr/omni/bin/cat_d:      setuid setgid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, not stripped
/usr/omni/bin/cat_e:      ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, not stripped
/usr/omni/bin/echo_d:     ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, not stripped
/usr/omni/bin/echo_e:     ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, not stripped
/usr/omni/bin/fsbrda:     ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped
/usr/omni/bin/inet:       setuid setgid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped
/usr/omni/bin/install:    directory
/usr/omni/bin/obkbackup:  ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
/usr/omni/bin/obkrestore: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
/usr/omni/bin/omnigetmsg: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped
/usr/omni/bin/rbda:       ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped
/usr/omni/bin/rrda:       ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped
/usr/omni/bin/srun:       ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped
/usr/omni/bin/utilns:     directory
/usr/omni/bin/vbda:       ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped
/usr/omni/bin/vrda:       ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped

Also ignore anything that gets redirected under /compat/linux as you'll
end up backing up the wrong stuff.

% ls -l /usr/compat/linux/
total 10
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  root  1024 Jul 26 15:15 bin
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  root   512 Feb  7  1996 boot
drwxr-xr-x   6 root  root  1024 Aug 24 10:45 etc
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  root  2048 Jul 26 15:15 lib
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  root   512 Jul 26 15:14 mnt
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  root   512 Aug 24  1999 opt
dr-xr-xr-x   1 root  root     0 Sep 19 14:40 proc
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  root   512 Jul 26 15:14 sbin
drwxr-xr-x  17 root  root   512 Jul 26 15:15 usr
drwxr-xr-x  13 root  root   512 Jul 26 15:15 var

So you wont get all of /bin, /boot, /etc, /lib, /mnt, /opt, /sbin,
/usr or /var backed up in the normal way with OmniBack.

The solution to that problem is to set up your FreeBSD boxes as
file servers where all data is under /export.  If you really really
want to backup the other filesystems, you can NFS mount them on a
Linux box and use OmniBack on that Linux box as OmniBack can be
used to backup NFS mounted filesystems.  You could use on Linux
box to do all FreeBSD 'other' filesystems.

e.g. mount freebie1:/    tux:/backup/freebie1/root
     mount freebie1:/var tux:/backup/freebie1/var
     mount freebie2:/    tux:/backup/freebie2/root

--
 Matthew Thyer                                 Phone:  +61 8 8259 7249
 Science Corporate Information Systems         Fax:    +61 8 8259 5537

 IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
 Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the
 CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are
 requested to contact the sender and delete the email.