Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 16:55:02 +0900
From:      Yoriaki FUJIMORI <fujimori@prinz.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What are my options PC164 and Symbios 53C895

>   On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 10:29:56PM -0700, Mike Campbell wrote:
>  > I just purchased a PC164 board and 500mHz processor to build an alpha
>  > system with, and I was hoping to use my symbios 53c895 to boot a
>  > seagate cheetahlvd hard drive.  Everything I've seen so far (including
>  > HARDWARE.TXT) says it probably wont be recognized by the SRM (although
>  > I saw 1 post to the contrary)

>   Try it -- I would be surprised if it didn't work.  But make sure you have
>  the latest SRM.  I use a Tekram 53c895 based controller in my 164LX.

I guess PC164 boards are different from 164LX.  PC164 is simm-based,
while 164LX is SDRAM based.  SRMs are different.
I have got several PC164 boards, and they cannot boot from 53c895 based
SCSI cards; cards are not recognised, while we can plug 53c895 based
beast to 164LX.
One more comment.  You cannot exploit the performance of LVD on 21164
systems.  (Not on entry level 21264 systems, either.)  I did not measure
it precisely, but my feeling is the top speed of pci bus on 164LX is
still below 30MB/sec.  Naturally, much worse on PC164.
So, in every day usage, LVD drives are mostly idle.
What I do on my PC164 is to plug two UW scsi cards (53c875 based),
attach two UW scsi drives, and make use of ccd.  This seems to improve
disk i/o.

Yoriaki Fujimori