Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 02:48:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hideki Sakamoto <sakamoto@hlla.is.tsukuba.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bin/44518: ftpd does not show OPIE OTP challenge

>Number:         44518
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       ftpd does not show OPIE OTP challenge
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Ftpd can authenticate a user with OPIE PAM module(pam_opie) when it's enabled in /etc/pam.conf. But client program cannot calculate OTP because ftpd doesn't show challenge to client in the session.
>How-To-Repeat:
1. Set a user's password for the OPIE authentication system.
   % opiepasswd -c
2. Try FTP with telnet.
 * % telnet localhost ftp
   Trying ::1...
   telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
   Trying 127.0.0.1...
   Connected to localhost.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   220 xxxxxx.hlla.is.tsukuba.ac.jp FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.
 * user sakamoto
   331 Password required for sakamoto.
Ftpd should have shown OTP challenge at this time. Nevertheless, authentication will success if a user know correct OTP and put it with "pass" command.

S/Key authentication(pam_skey) have same probrem but its ok because ftpd
have native S/Key authentication mechanism and it shows challenge at the end of "user" command handler.
>Fix:
      I have no good idea. Dirty solution is; Show OPIE challenge at the end of "user" command handler like S/Key.