Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 11:22:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      David Delibasic <maddave@suxx.eu.org>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>
Cc:        Walter Hop <freebsd@walter.slik.org>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: wi0 pppoe client

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> 800kbytes/s? it is impossible, the cards are full duplex 11mbit, you can
> only use 5.5mbit/s in one way. Or at least thats what the people told me
> when I said why I can only ue 5mbit/s

OK, maybe it was just a peak. The speed would probably drop down later.

> I got better results when I put the cards closer, I had about 590kbytes/s
> But 800?! how can that be possible? Did you have any kind of compression?

No. First i had WEP crypto turned on, and results were not very good. Then
i turned WEP off and used IPSEC. The results you are getting are normal.
I tested it with 2 YAGI antennas at distance of 100-150 meters and it
worked just...great :)

> I dont have encryption on the link. It is kind of funny though that
> closing some compression stuff actually improved the link quality
> although compression was not in use

I think that cards aren't really capable of doing WEP at full speed, and i
was really suprised when i turned WEP off. If you want encrypted link, try
setting up IPSEC. It worked for me. You can also setup some kind of
compression with IPSEC.

David