Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 13:46:08 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   More on my fxtv / bktr problem

Hi folks,

I already posted a few days ago because of a problem I had to get my
Hauppauge WinTV PCI-FM card to work with the bktr drive and fxtv. Well, by
now I have successfully make it work acceptable, but one thing that
confuses me remains:

Well, I have hooked up my satellite receiver via an antenna cable
(modulated UHF output) to my WinTV card. The sat receiver claims to send a
PAL/BG signal, which is reasonable, since I live in Germany. Accordingly, I
set up fxtv to "PAL/BDGHI" mode.

Now, interestingly though, the vido signal using this mode looks a little
strange: If fxtv is a small window, the video moves not very smoothly, i.e.
it hangs sometimes. Pressing fxtv's "full screen" button or using my
Hauppauge remote control to switch to full screen provides even more
surprises: The picture looks either "interlaced", i.e. only all even
scanlines seem to get drawn while the odd lines remain missing *or* the
picture is there in full, but once again moves unsmoothly and "ghost"
images of previous frames may remain.

As a workaround, I set fxtv to "PAL/N" mode, and interestingly, all the
above described problems go away. TV looks good both in small window and
full screen format.

Now, does anyone have a clue what this could mean? First of all, I am sure
that my satellite receiver is hooked up correctly and the frequency is set
accordingly (using channelset "weurope"). Then, I really wonder in what way
the selection of PAL/BDGHI vs. PAL/N could influence how "smooth" my
picture moves. I thought this had to do more with the way the WinTV board
transfers the video data into my graphic card's memory and less with the TV
standard I have selected. I even had a look at the PAL specs and noted that
PAL/BDGHI and PAL/N are basically the same in terms of lines used and
refresh frequency - the two modes only seem to differ a bit by means of
subcarriers used for the image and sound data. Thus, I find it even
stranger that PAL/N looks so good on my machine in conjunction with a
PAL/BG signal.

So, has anyone seen something similar before? Or can anybody guess (by
knowing the source code of the bktr driver of fxtv) what's going on here?
Although my "PAL/N" fix basically makes my card work the way I want it to,
I'm still corious to find out why things are the way they are.

Greetings
Nils
(Oh - if you reply, please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed to the
multimedia list (mailbox gets full enough from all the other FreeBSD lists
;-) ))

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany