Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:13:38 +1100
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

At 11:22 AM 14/12/2003, Dustin Puryear sent this up the stick:
>I need a general purpose server that will do the following tasks:
>
>1. Run Postfix and Courier-IMAP with Amavis-new/SpamAssassin
>2. Run RT (from Best Practice), a very nice ticketing system that runs under
>Apache.
>3. CVS server
>
>This server will serve about 3-10 people. Not many. I have found though that
>RT needs a lot of horsepower to run fast, and as more people access RT speed
>may be an issue.
>
>I have two servers that I can use for this purpose:
>
>1. Dual PII 333Mhz with 512MB RAM and 40MB/sec SCSI disk.
>2. AlphaPC 600Mhz with 512MB RAM and 40MB/sec SCSI disk.
>
>I have been benchmarking both servers using various benchmarks under
>ports/benchmarks. (I did notice that Bytebench doesn't finish on the Alpha.)
>
>What is your general thoughts on which server will serve in this capacity in
>the long-term? I am curious how you would rate the Alpha against this specific
>Intel-based system.
>
>I have to admit that I'm new to the Alpha platform, and so I'm also just
>trying to get the general feel for what kind of Intel-based system would be
>comparable to this particular Alpha.
>
>I know it's hard, if not impossible, to just say "X is better than Y."

Go the Dell, only because parts that "just work" will be more readily
available (if not cheaper).  And double the RAM if the Dell can take it.

I love my Alphas, don't get me wrong, but if anybody has to ask, I would
recommend "commodity" computers any day.

Cheers,
Rob

--
You lookin' at me? You lookin' at me?!

This is random quote 1239 of 1254.

Distance from the centre of the brewing universe
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian

Public Key fingerprint = 6219 33BD A37B 368D 29F5  19FB 945D C4D7 1F66 D9C5