Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 2004 12:28:33 +0200
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <freebsd@wanadoo.es>
To:        x11@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   URW Type1 Fonts

Hi,
I'm the originator of PRs ports/67516, ports/67552, ports/67574 and=20
ports/67596.

All this is about make the min changes to ports for the next goals:
	- get the most uptodate URW type1 fonts from only one place
		achieved by ports/67516
	- make min changes to gs ports to use this port and don't install fonts
		via ports/67574 ports/67596
	- teach fontconfig/libXFT about gsfonst.
		via ports/67552
	- teach xfs/Xserver about gsfonts.
		this mail related.

And I think this is not a so trivial task.

=BFCan be x11-fonts/XFree86-4-fontScalable changed to not install Type1=20
fonts by default?

ttf fonts seems enough for fullfill the needs of the apps depends.  And=20
the fontconfig change make the gsfonts (type1 URW fonts) avaiable via=20
libXFT.

The x11-fonts/XFree86-4-fontScalable may RUN_DEPENDS on print/gsfonts if=20
we need type1 fonts.

But I have no idea about how to change the default config of xfs, or the=20
generated XF86Config.

I do these changes by hand, But I notice the method in print/gsfonts=20
pkg-message.

Also, I managed gsfonts to use Adobe fontmetrics in fonts.dir, so the=20
port may be a candidate for replacement of urwfonts as depend of ports=20
like jdk14 (Can anyone test this. It seems working here).

After the changes. I'm using just one versi=F3n of the URW type1 fonts,=20
from a well defined place and port, shared vi xfs, Xserver, libXFT,=20
fontconfig and java.

Maybe these changes welcome?
Can I offer a patch (by mail or send-pr) against=20
x11-fonts/XFree86-4-fontScalable?
Can anyone work in xfs/XF86Config if needed?

=2D-
  josemi