Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:51:08 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        obrien@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ports-amd64@FreeBSD.org: linux_base-8-8.0_6 failed on amd64 6]

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:14:47 -0800
Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:

> ===>   linux_base-8-8.0_6 depends on executable: rpm - found
> Deleting rpm-3.0.6_9 popt-1.7 libiconv-1.9.2_1 gettext-0.14.1
> ====================<phase 3: make patch>====================
> add_pkg
> ===>  Patching for linux_base-8-8.0_6
> ====================<phase 4: make build>====================
> add_pkg
> ===>  Configuring for linux_base-8-8.0_6
> ====================<phase 5: make package>====================
> add_pkg
> ===>  Installing for linux_base-8-8.0_6
> rpm: not found
> *** Error code 127

David moved the do-extract to pre-install with "Follow the porter's
handbook and allow 'make all' to be run by a moral user." as the reason.
The linux_base-8 port is special in this case, since it needs the linux
kernel module to be loaded, which isn't allowed by an ordinary user.

At least the module is loaded at the beginning of the extraction
process. In case a rpm runs a linux binary (or a script which needs a
linux shell) we really need the module to be loaded. If this isn't the
case we can move it into the do-install target where it is needed by the
linux ldconfig program.

In case we need to load the module for the extraction process, I think
we should say the linux_base-8 port is special and you can build it as
root only (we don't have an INSTALL_DEPENDS, and RUN_DEPENDS doesn't
really fit here).

So either we revert rev 1.96 and 1.97 completely, or we test if we can
move the "sh pkginstall" part to the do-install target and rename the
pre-install target back to do-extract.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
         The computer revolution is over. The computers won.