Date:      Sun, 02 Jan 2005 16:39:33 +0100
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mozilla vs. nspr

Mikhail Teterin wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Why do www/mozilla and www/mozilla-devel build and install its own
>versions of libnspr4 into ${PREFIX}/lib/mozilla(-devel)?
>
>The ports require and the resulting mozilla-bin executables use the
>${PREFIX}/lib/libnspr4.so...
>
>Can this be fixed -- to stop the "DLL hell"? Thanks!
>
>	-mi
>
>P.S. Happy New Year! :-)

Right now, No.

I think we need a work towards a Mozilla Runtime Environment (MRE_HOME),
but, If we must do 'mozilla banding build', we need 'self contained builds'.

In any case, this is more complex that you can expect.  We need first
some definitions over mozilla ports and a working plan before any of
this can be taken.

But yes,  you may expect share not only npsr, but even gecko or netwerk
between mozilla related apps after AVIARY-1.0
(firefox-1.0/mozilla-1.7.5/thunderbird-1.0).