Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 2008 14:32:58 +0400
From:      Ilya Bakulin <webmaster@kibab.com>
To:        Reg Me Please <regmeplease@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on laptops

--Signature=_Sun__5_Oct_2008_14_32_58_+0400_UyLMc2xsMAHt7aFm

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:21:52 +0200
Reg Me Please <regmeplease@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>=20
> I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop.
> I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process
> I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
> 0. Core2 Duo CPUs
> 1. Support for modern chipsets (ICH8)
> 2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on lap=
tops
> 3. support for accelerated graphic cards (nVidia GeForce 8600M GT)
> 4. support for Intel wifi (4965 AGN)
> 5. support for other hardware like audio, card readers, i-Link, USB
>=20
> And, of course, any advise about FreeBSD on laptops will be highly
> appreciated.
>=20
> Thanks in advance.

I'm running FreeBSD 7-STABLE/i386 on Dell Vostro 1310 laptop.
So:
 * Core2Duo CPU is well supported. powerd is able to adjust clock speed acc=
ording to current system needs; hardware temperature monitoring (via corete=
mp(4) ) works pretty good.
 * ACPI works OK, though sometimes EC starts to behave strangely. It stops =
responding to battery _BST calls, so I have to descrease debug.acpi.ec.time=
out in order to work comfortly... Vostro 1310 also has EXTREMELY buggy ACPI=
 AML (200+ errors when trying to simply recompile ASL).
 * My GeForce 8400M GS is well supported by proprietary NVIDIA driver. Feat=
ures like Tvin-View work nice, also driver adjusts GPU speed according to s=
ystem needs. Hardware accelleration works well.
 * Audio subsystem works nice with recent snd_hda update, including microph=
one (Skype runs OK).
 * My O2Micro card reader is recognized by recent sdhci driver update, but =
it handles not all cards I have, and this code is neither in -CURRENT nor i=
n -STABLE yet. =20

--=20
Ilya Bakulin <webmaster@kibab.com>