Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2013 19:20:18 +0000
From:      Jay Elliott <jelliott@juniper.net>
To:        "freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   usage of the standby immediate command in the ATA driver

Hi freebsd-drivers,

I'm looking into some issues regarding filesystem corruption with my employ=
er's FreeBSD6-based kernel.  We've consulted with the vendor that supplies =
our SSDs, and they've told us to make sure that our ATA driver is sending t=
he ATA_STANDBY_IMMEDIATE command to the drive during shutdown after sending=
 the ATA_FLUSHCACHE command.  I've looked into the FreeBSD9.2-version of th=
e ata driver to see if this behavior has been changed, but as far as I can =
tell it also does not send the ATA_STANDBY_IMMEDATE command from ad_shutdow=
n.

Does anybody know if this is intentional?  I'm inclined to trust newer vers=
ions of FreeBSD more than my hardware vendor, but I want to make sure this =
isn't a mistake.

Also, does anybody know if this behavior has changed in FreeBSD 10?  I've b=
een looking into it myself, but the new version of the ATA driver has chang=
ed a lot from the 9.2 version and I'm having some difficulties understandin=
g it.

Thanks for all your help,
Jay