Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 2015 23:18:25 -0800
From:      Chris Stankevitz <chris@stankevitz.com>
To:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Recovering a zfs root pool from backup

I have a 'zroot' as setup by the FreeBSD install procedure on "Machine
A".  I back it up like so:

zfs snapshot -r zroot@backup

zfs send -Rv zroot@backup > /path/to/external/drive/zroot.backup.bin

Let's assume that "Machine A" zroot pool is destroyed.  On "Machine B" I
issue these commands:

zpool create zroot /dev/new/drive

cat /path/to/external/drive/zroot.backup.bin | zfs receive -d zroot

I do not believe that this will create a working drive for Machine A
because:

1. I doubt I can create a new pool called "zroot" on Machine B since it
is already running a pool called "zroot"

2. I doubt that this process will create the appropriate "boot sector"
stuff (I do not know what I am talking about here).

Can you provide a solution to either of these problems and/or identify
other problems with my backup/restore procedure?

Thank you,

Chris

PS: The system is a file server with nearly all data stored on a zpool
that is not "zroot".