Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 23:12:22 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        announce@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Announcing 2.0.5-950622-SNAP

Yes, I'm still making the "snapshot" releases and this is the first
post-2.0.5 one to be made available.  It fixes a number of problems
and adds some new features, some of which are:

o	SLIP installation didn't ``ifconfig sl0'' properly.

o	It was not possible to do certain operations "atomically", e.g.
	just write out fdisk information, or just extract distributions.
	This can now be done from the "Custom Install" menu.

o	There is now an "Express Install" menu that leads you through all
	the necessary steps.

o	/usr/src/bin is now properly extracted as part of the source
	distribution.

o	A couple of panics in the kernel are now fixed.

o	DOS filesystems are now mounted read-only by default until we
	figure out what it is about R/W DOS filesystems that clobbers some
	systems.

As always, this snapshot is offered as a complete replacement for the
previous release and is aimed at new users installing the system from
scratch.  Still no "update" mechanism yet, but there are rumors of a
project being formed to deal with this soon.  If you've any interest
in being part of it, then please send mail to hackers@freebsd.org.
I'll also be getting involved in the whole update mechanism issue
since it's been a gaping hole for far too long now and I'd like to see
a solution sooner rather than later.  I'm sure that many of our users
feel the same way!

Please let me know how you fare with this snapshot.  I intend to
release them every couple of weeks or so, depending on the number and
severity of the bugs that are fixed, right up to the release date of
FreeBSD 2.1.

					Jordan