Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 1995 00:46:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Digiboard PC/16e

> From: Sergio Lenzi <lenzi@cwbtwo.bsi.com.br>
> Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 12:07:59 +0000 ()
> Subject: Re: Digiboard PC/16e
>
> Anyway a question:
> If I would use an Inteligent board in a char by char basics (-icanon)
> the board would be used like a dumb one wright?
> that is the char entered at the serial port will be processed by the
> kernel one char at a time, the same way a dumb board operates.
> comments???

I have a Pentium 133 with 2 Boca 2016's; all of one board are in use, and
4 or 5 lines of the second.  I'm still seeing silo overflows.  Apparently,
the ISA I/O bandwidth is too limited to cope with much traffic.  If I
understand the situation correctly, boards like the Digiboard use shared
memory and have much larger buffers, so 1. the throughput capacity is
higher due to using memory cycles instead of I/O cycles and 2.  It takes
a lot more to overrun the larger buffers.

At least that's my current understanding...

--
Alan Batie                            ______
batie@agora.rdrop.com                 \    /      Freedom for me to be and do

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which use
unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.