Date:      Mon, 09 Sep 1996 13:25:43 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: ATM]

Date:     Mon, 9 Sep 96 10:36:00 CDT
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@maria.wustl.edu>
To: Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
cc: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
Subject:  Re:  ATM

In your letter dated Mon, 09 Sep 1996 01:16:28 -0700, you wrote:
>Can you give more pointers to the ATM stuff you refer to?
>there is an effort under FreeBSD to bring together a lot of
>ISDN/Frame-relay/ATM stuff to make some sort of "unified"
>V/C based networking  module.

hi-

   well, the main-line code is in the OpenBSD and NetBSD -current
source tree, but I extracted it into:

ftp://dworkin.wustl.edu/dist/bsd/bsdatm1.2.tar.gz

I ported it to FreeBSD 2.2-960612-SNAP, but since I don't normally
run FreeBSD I haven't tried it with anything later than that.
there is also a newer version of midway.c in that directory.

    i have a slightly dated set of release notes on-line at:

http://www.ccrc.wustl.edu/pub/chuck/bsdatm/wucs.html

    the goal of my code is to allow IP to run over ATM, and to allow
socket level access to both AAL0 and AAL5 VCs using the only ATM adaptors
i've got: the efficient network ENI-155s (Sbus) and ENI-155p (PCI).
i have not addressed issues such as ATM ARP, ATM addresses (other than
virtual circuits), etc.

    locally we are using the code for several projects include an
ATM based video file server, interacting with an ATM based audio and
video source/sink, and doing some sort of routing project (i don't
know the details).

    on the internet there are several people interested in doing
things with this code.   To name two:

 - Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de> has extended
   native mode atm sockets for datagram use, implemented ILMI, is playing
   with signaling, and also has a driver for a DEC ATM adaptor.    Given
   Matthias activity I am hoping that he can coordinate future changes
   and updates to this code as I am very short on time these days.

 - Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> is writing a device driver for
   the FORE 200 ATM adaptor as part of a project he has going at his
   place of work.

   is that the kind of info you are interested in?   maybe you can talk
to Matthias a bit so that everyone might be able to work together?

chuck