Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 1996 09:09:56 -0500 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Ferguson <patrick@overlord.dmv.com>
To:        ywliu <team_fbf@pristine.com.tw>
Cc:        Bruce Bauman <boot@mosquito.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, boot@itchy.mosquito.com
Subject:   Re: winsock recommendations?

On Sun, 4 Feb 1996, ywliu wrote:

> > We've been having lots of trouble with customers who use Trumpet Winsock under win3.x.
> > What has people's experience been with the TCP/IP stack and PPP software that comes
> > with Netscape Personal Edition? We'd like to recommend this to our customers as an
> > alternative to shareware.
> >
> > How is the support for this product?
> >

> Trumpet Winsock should be the best choice , IMHO, as long as you get the
> newest version, but you may be enforced to register it.
>
> I know the one in Quarterdeck IntenetSuite is good. At least it allows
> user to dial to different providers.
>
> Yen-Wei Liu

Enforced to register it?  It's a shareware product that gives you a
license to evaluate it for 30 days and then you must register it.  The
Netscape Personal Edition comes with a well stocked database of modems.
Taking much of the headache out of dealing with people trying to connect
but can't because of a incorrect modem init string.  Unless of course, all
of your subscribers are well versed in setting up there modems.
Trumpet Winsock works, but it's not for the novice user.
Granted, on the verge of Rel 2.0 it might be better to wait for the next
release of Netscape Personal Edition.  Also, with Netscape Personal Edition
the customer already gets a licensed copy of Netscape, no need to go and ftp
a copy and register it.  Given todays hype about the Web, that's what most
customers want anyways.

Support for Netscape isn't too bad, they do work with the people as much
as possible.  If I remember right, you get support for 90 days, which
doesn't begins with the first time the customer calls.