Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 1996 22:47:30 +1100 (EST)
From:      Anthony Hill <ahill@interconnect.com.au>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User creating root-owned directories?

Lo and behold, Brian Tao once said:

> > I'll perform a more detailed scan for setuid and setgid programs
> > today then.  A lot of our users run setuid CGI scripts (PHP tools, a
> > Web page logging package)... the hacker may have named a setuid
> > program after one of the PHP scripts to hide it from scrutiny.

Letting users have setuid scripts is pretty deadly stuff - you might want
to checkout sudo. If you must run setuid CGI scripts, the taint features in
PERL are a real help.

You might want to have a look at the "No you cant have root document" on
our "chief security bastard"s home page.

> > Probably a good time to compare MD5 signatures on the system binaries
> > too... *sigh*.

If I suspect root has been compromised on my system, I do a complete
reinstall then recreate the user stuff from backups - you never know where
the little turds may have left a surprise for you.